7 April 2013



Cabo wasn’t and then it was. Let me explain:

As per out schedule we dropped anchor and were ready to start the tender process by 8am. What the Captain didn’t know was that the area where the port authority had us anchor was not that protected from the Pacific Ocean and, with the sea being very rolling this morning it was almost impossible to try and load the tenders with the ship rocking by as much as 6 feet. So the captain announced on the PA system that we was getting permission from the Port Authority to pull anchor and move closer into shore and away from the big waves.

He said if this was not possible, then we might have to forgo the land portion this stop. In the end he received the permission (I’m sure the port saw lost $$$ if they didn’t agree).

In order to keep the ship steady and make loading and unloading onto the tenders possible he had to keep the engines running and by using the stabilizers he was able to keep the ship reasonably steady and the tendering process started again, albeit over 1 ½ hours late.

It was around 9:30am that Lucy & I decided that Cabo wasn’t going to be a stop for us. We would stay on the ship and just enjoy the day relaxing. However by 10:30am it looked like the tendering was going well so we decided to try it anyway. We went down to the registration area in the Queen’s Lounge and received tender tickets. The wait would be 30 minutes.

There are two types of tenders being used today. One type is the port supplied Cabo Tenders. The second type of Tender were the ships own lifeboats. The lifeboats can hold up to well over a 100 people comfortably in long bench seats.

Our number was finally called and we took a Cabo Tender from the ship to the Cabo San Lucas harbour.

The Cabo San Lucas harbour area is VERY busy with tenders, fishing boats, glass bottom tourist boats, jet skis, catamarans, yachts of many sizes, deep sea fishing vessels, pelicans and harbour seals. That’s just on the water. On land it was even busier with a person every few feet trying to get you to take their tour by boat whether it be fishing, glass bottom or catamaran all for “a special price just for you today”. In between all of those there were merchants of all ages asking you to purchase the incredibly valued merchandise they were displaying in your face. This merchandise was mostly intricate silver jewellery but could also be cigars “straight from Cuba”, hats, sunglasses, cloth, masks, toys, gum, bead work and whatever else the artisans could possibly come up with. This is the first port where it was so very “in you face”. It was very uncomfortable and very annoying.

As usual Lucy and I did some meandering around the town located just a few blocks away from the port area. We had forgotten but by looking at the advertisements at the entrance to all of the Pharmacy’s, how may prescription drugs are available over the counter. One of the passengers on our ship is a Pharmacist. She said they stock up on antibiotics ie: Amoxicillin, Cipro and an antibiotic eye drop. So she said they were good to go for another year. She also said they go to Tijuana for all their dental work. Seniors take note. Your Mexican vacation can be two-fold!! Something to consider. I know we have friends who come down to Mexico for 6 months of the year. They always have all of their dental and medical work done in Mexico. He had is eye surgery done with great success. Dad Doerksen would have loved the adventure.

We took a long walk away from the port area to the business district. The shops and stores were very similar to what we have seen in P.V. and the previous stops.


With our time being limited here in Cabo we headed back to the port area and found a ocean-side restaurant where we stopped to have lunch.
Lucy ordered shrimp soft taco’s and I had the fish and chips. The servings were large so again, if we could agree on what we wanted to eat, we could have shared. Since we were eating at the restaurant we were given the WiFi code and were able to use the internet connection do some updating without a charge.

Even as we sat in the restaurant the vendors came through with their merchandise. Many of them being very young children. It seemed like this was an acceptable practice because the servers never paid much attention to them.

While sitting and having lunch we were able to watch the small fishing boats come back into port with their catch of the day. Following close behind them were the pelicans and harbour seals hoping to catch some remnant for lunch. The harbour seals were actually quite large and some tried to get onto the back of the boats.

Also from the port area you can see the surrounding hills. There are many hotels, resorts and private villas around the port area and up onto the barren, treeless hills. I don’t think you would come here for the flora display. The area is very dry and desert like. It seemed that unless you irrigated things simply did not grow.

It was soon time to get back to the ship. I know we were not here very long and we certainly only saw a small portion of the area but from what we felt and saw we were not drawn to this place. I will not be placed very high on our “return to visit” list.

Returning to the Tender area by way of the merchants marathon we had no problem getting on the first boat without a wait. This time we were able to get on one of the ships lifeboats so we were able to experience what it was like to sit in and ride in an actual life boat.

The rest of the day onboard we relaxed and spent some time up on deck watching but busyness of the harbour.

Then, with a triple blast of the ship’s horn, we turned 180 degrees on the spot and headed back out to sea. The Tender lifeboats were all back in place and life on board carried on as usual.

That was our last land stop before San Diego. Tomorrow is a sea day and a day to start packing for the early morning disembarkation on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment